Special NTFS USB files
What is this about ?
Following special folders / files that can be created on a NTFS USB flash drive to trigger commands on console boot.
List of files / folders
|$Diagnosis||Folder||The command $DumpSystemOS will write SystemOS-full.dmpx here.|
|$NoSurface||Folder||Mount drive in HostOS instead of SystemOS.|
|$DumpSystemOS||Folder||SystemOS Memory Dump. The console will ding when the dump is finished. (Host will delete $DumpSystemOS and dump SystemOS's memory into the $Diagnosis.)|
|$DumpHostOS||Folder||HostOS Memory Dump|
|$Diagnosis\debug.bin||File||Godbox certificate used for temporary godbox boosting of a Retail.|
|$SystemUpdate\consoles.txt||File||Put an empty file consoles.txt on the flashdrive. Console will write its current systemupdate build version to the file on boot.|
|$SystemUpdate\hwinit.cfg||File||Enables an overclocked mode controlled by a byte at 0x8 and can have a value between 0x01 - 0x58. File Magic: 0x1-0x58 - 4E,49,57,48,02.Unknown FF range|
|$ConsoleRegion0||File||Only available on Chinese Xbox One.
|$ConsoleRegion1||File||Only available on Chinese Xbox One.
|$ConsoleGen8||File||Only available on Chinese Xbox One. Put an empty file $ConsoleGen8 on the flashdrive to disable region lock.|
|$ConsoleGen9||File||Only available on Chinese Xbox Series X/S. Put an empty file $ConsoleGen9 on the flashdrive to disable region lock.|
|MSXB_Kiosk||File||Put a special Kiosk XVD on the flashdrive, after booting the console will be locked in Kiosk mode. To exit, power off console and remove the flash drive.|
- The SystemOS-full.dmpx file is encrypted and requires a retail key to decrypt.
- Using $ConsoleRegion0 , $ConsoleRegion1, $ConsoleGen8 or $ConsoleGen9 will affect the ability to read Xbox China game discs, but won't affect already installed digital games.
- Non-Chinese Xbox One units cannot be region locked and read Xbox China discs / access China region Xbox Live by $ConsoleRegion1.
- $ConsoleRegion0 and $ConsoleRegion1 has been deprecated since OS 10.0.19041.2493 (rs_xbox_release_2005.200512-1756). Devices' region lock status will be remained as the same before it's update to this version. Those two special files will still work on devices with OS version equal to or under 10.0.19041.1927 (rs_xbox_release_2004.200415-0000). Users who still need to disable region lock should consider using $ConsoleGen8 and $ConsoleGen9 instead.
- Usage of $ConsoleGen8 and $ConsoleGen9 require OS version equal to or newer than XB_FLT_2106VB\19041.8033.210514-0000 (insider preview) and active Internet connection to Xbox Live.
- $ConsoleGen8 will not work on Xbox Series X/S and $ConsoleGen9 will not work on Xbox One (S/X).
Credits: TitleOS for discovering $SystemUpdate\hwinit.cfg